Land for Rolla Lions Club Park was purchased from Aud and Laura McGuire on August 10, 1954. The original tract of land included 143 acres. The property consisted of 100 acres of cleared land and 43 acres in timber.
Lion E. W. "Skip" Carlton chaired the Procurement Committee and was the first Park Committee Chairman. Work began toward developing the park in April 1955 by clearing some trees and brush and construction of the first pavilion.
The Rolla Lions Club's 20th Annual Carnival was moved from Buehler Park to the Rolla Lions Club Park in July 1955. The park was opened to the general public in August 1955 when construction of 6 picnic areas with tables and barbecue pits, slides, swings, and teeter-totters was completed. The first fishing derby was held June 29, 1957. Construction of pavillions and other improvements continued through the summer of 1958.
A community hall was completed in February 1960. Park improvements continuted through the years with the enlargement of the lake, a handicapped fishing dock, additional pavilions and picnic areas, playground equipment, baseball fields, street paving and curbs, and flowering trees.
In 1994, an additional 40 acres were purchased for future expansion of the park.
Rolla Lions Club Inc.
PO Box 244
Rolla, MO 65402-0244